In January 1994, First Bank of South Arkansas located in Junction City purchased the branch office of First Financial Savings and Loan located in Camden. The new branch office of First Bank of South Arkansas located at 1120 Washington Street continued to grow and prosper at a very rapid pace.
First Bank of South Arkansas was the first bank in South Arkansas to locate a branch office inside a retail store. On September 23, 1996 the First Bank Cardinal Branch was opened for business inside Jade’s (formally known as Piggly Wiggly).
On September 8, 1998, the Main Office of First Bank was moved from Junction City to Camden after the opening of its new facility located at 1325 HWY 278 BYP.
During this time First Bank of South Arkansas was the sister bank to Calhoun County Bank located in Hampton with both banks being owned by Harrell Bancshares, Inc.
On May 6, 2005 the two banks joined strengths under one charter making First Bank of South Arkansas a division of Calhoun County Bank. The charter of 75 years for First Bank of South Arkansas was sold to White River Bancshares, Inc. (Signature Bank).
Calhoun County Bank opened its doors for business on October 8, 1907 in Harrell, AR. At one time, Calhoun County had four banks in operation but after the depression era of the late 1920’s and early 1930’s, Calhoun County Bank was the only surviving bank left in Calhoun County.
President Roosevelt took office on March 4, 1932, and his first official act after being sworn in was to close all the banks in the nation. After all the banks were closed for eleven days, Calhoun County Bank received notice that they were on the first list of 96 banks in the state to reopen.
Since 70% of the customers were from the Hampton area Calhoun County Bank moved from Harrell to Hampton on October 11, 1938.
The first bank building had a fence around it to keep the cows and hogs from destroying the shrubbery and was featured in Robert L. Ripley’s Believe It or Not as being the only bank in the nation with a fence around it. The fence was later removed after the city stock law was passed in 1953.
In 1953 the bank was remodeled inside and out and the bank put in the first drive-in teller window in South Arkansas.
Calhoun County Bank celebrated their 100th anniversary on October 8, 2007.
In 2009 a decision was made by the Board of Directors of Calhoun County Bank that a branch located in East Camden would better serve its customers that lived and worked in the surrounding areas. On October 6, 2009, the branch office, East Camden Branch for First Bank of South Arkansas A Division of Calhoun County Bank, opened its doors for business.
On September 10, 2010, the bank received approval from the Arkansas State Bank Department to change the bank's name from Calhoun County Bank to First Bank. On November 4, 2010, the announcement of the name change came with the announcement of two new locations that were open for business in Rogers and Siloam Springs. The new offices in North West Arkansas were purchased from White River Bancshares, Inc. (Signature Bank).
The stockholders, directors and employees want to express our gratitude to the citizens of South and North West Arkansas for their continued support. We are dedicated in providing our customers the best in products and services.